Welcome Insurance Customers, learn more about our insurance division. Go to StriveSafe

Safe driving is no accident

Safe driving is no accident

We’ve said for a long time now that safe driving is no accident. The States of Nevada and New York, along with over 25 other state departments of transportation “have moved away from the term “accident” when referring to roadway incidents” according to this article in the New York Times. We could not agree more.

Being more deliberate in the language around motor vehicle incidents is a step toward recognizing the primary factor in these crashes: driver actions and behavior. As the article states, 6% of motor vehicle incidents “are caused by vehicle malfunctions, weather and other factors.” It is fair to classify that 6% as actual accidents. But the other 94% are caused by driver behaviors and are not unavoidable accidents. They are preventable incidents.

Getting behind the wheel of a vehicle is the most dangerous thing you and your employees will do every day, yet we take it for granted and don’t give it the attention it requires. Being aware of our risky driving behaviors and taking steps to change them is the best way to reduce the number of crashes, however you choose to describe them.